Google has developed a free email service, or we say an electronic mail service named Gmail. Gmail can be accessed on the web by the users and uses third-party programs that synchronize email contents with POP and IMAP protocols. In today’s era, Gmail service comes with the storage of 15 gigabytes, wherein a Gmail user can receive emails up to 50 megabytes (MB) in size that includes attachments, and they can send emails up to 25 megabytes.
If a user wants to send a larger file, he/she can insert a file from Google Drive into the message. Google’s mail servers perform the scanning of emails for multiple reasons. It also includes the filter of Spam and malware automatically and adds up some sensitive context advertisements next to Gmail.
Features of Gmail
- In April 2004, Gmail was launched with the storage space of 1 gigabyte (GB).
- In April 2005, the limit of storage space was doubled to 2 gigabytes (GB) as Gmail’s anniversary gift.
- In April 2012, Gmail increased storage space from 7.5 to 10 gigabytes (GB) as a part of the Google Drive Launch.
- In May 2013, Google announced the complete merger of Gmail, Google Drive, and Google + Photos with the overall storage space of 15 gigabytes (GB).
- As of 2018, users can buy the monthly subscription plan from Google One to store up to 30 terabytes for their personal use.
Gmail interface makes use of tags (labels) – that changes the conventional folders and provides the more delicate method of organizing emails: it filters the emails automatically, organize them, delete or forward incoming emails to other addresses and apply markers to the important messages automatically.
Spam filter features a community-driven system: when a user marks an email as Spam, it provides the information to other users to identify similar messages for the future for all the Gmail users. The spam filtering banners got updated in April 2018; banners got a redesign with bigger and bolder lettering.
This feature was introduced in June 2008, allows the users to test new or experimental features of Gmail. Gmail Lab has a selective nature as users can enable or disable the Lab feature and provide feedback about each of them.
Gmail also has the feature of a search bar for searching for emails. This search bar can search contacts, files in the Google drive, and also the events from Google Calendar and Google Sites as well.
Till March 2015, the Gmail interface started supporting 72 languages such as English, Hindi, Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Bulgarian, French, German, etc.
Platforms for Gmail
The basic HTML version of Gmail works on almost all browsers. The new and latest version of AJAX officially supports the current and previous major releases of browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, and Safari on a rolling basis.
Gmail has a native program for IOS devices and Android devices.
- In November 2014, Google introduced the Gmail Android app feature that permits the users to send and receive emails from the non-Gmail addresses like Yahoo! Mail, and outlook.com through POP and IMAP.
- In November 2016, Google redesigned the app for the IOS platform. This update added a lot more use of colors, sleeker transitions, and the addition of the most requested feature that is Undo Send, faster search with instant results and spell checker and suggestions, and a wipe to Archive/Delete.
- In May 2017, Google updated Gmail on Android for protecting from phishing attacks.
- Later in May, Google announced the addition of the “Smart Reply” feature to Gmail on Android, and IOS has this feature originally in it.
Advantages of Gmail
- Gmail ‘Stacks’ and organize the conversations into threads:
The moment you receive or send messages, emails get automatically grouped as per the subject line regardless of the conversation age.
- Gmail has very punctual malware and virus Checker:
This is an invaluable Gmail function as it removes 99.9% of the risk that your computer will get affected. Google constantly updates its anti-malware software to provide you the most modern anti-virus protection.
- 10+ GB email storage space:
10 GB of storage space is five times more space required by the people, but it is a comfort level to the users that there is no hard and fast rule to delete anything for creating the space for new ones.
- 25 MB per email capacity:
Yes, Gmail indeed can send attachments of up to 25 MBs to a friend. Gmail will support that.
- Good uptime:
Uptime means how many days a year’s service is working properly. Here in Gmail, crashes are very few and far between. It is tough to complain about the occasional downtime for the service that charges nothing from you.
- Composing new mails has many rich text features:
By Rich Text, we mean that it has the complete ability to use the stylish fonts, colors, bullets, hyperlinks, indents, emoticons, and photo pasting directly into a message.
- Power of Google:
This represents that the Gmail service gets full-time maintenance attention, the clout of the respected domain name “Gmail.com,” and the lateral benefits that come along, such as YouTube, Google Drive, Flickr, and Google Maps.
- Speed of Google:
Gmail has an excellent speed of delivering the messages compared to Yahoo, and GMX will occupy 30 seconds to 5 minutes to post your message to the recipient, whereas Gmail delivers in just 10 seconds.
Disadvantages of Gmail
- Reply messages composing dialog box has a small screen:
Unlike the brand new message screen, Gmail displays the advertising to the right corner of the reply screen that cuts your available space significantly as if you are forced to work on a small desk, which is very frustrating for the time.
- There is no option for Undelete:
There is no need to deleting anything in the first place for sure as you have got enough space, but what if you press the delete command, then you are going to stuck with the result of it as there is no option of recovering the messages.
- Gmail has a very simple and plain format:
You can make your Gmail skin fill up with various themes, but the Gmail interface will just look plain and so boring always. It is not such a requirement, but if Google can add some design and make Gmail more attractive and effective, it would be nice.