A file extension OVA stands for Open Virtual Appliance. Therefore it is a virtual appliance that is used by the virtualization programs like VMware workstation and Oracle VM Virtualbox; This is a package that includes the files used for describing a virtual machine; this standard explains to you the extension of the word as an “Open, secure, portable, efficient and extensible file format for the packaging and distribution of software to be run in the Virtual Machines.” The OVF file standard is not combined with any particular protocols or instructions set of architecture. Therefore the complete unit of packaging and distribution is a so-called OVF package, which might include more than one Virtual system, each of which can organize into a Virtual machine. It consists of an OVF descriptor file, optional manifest (.MF) and certificate files, and also some other related files.
The OVA files are saved in the OVF file format, which stands for Open Virtualization Format, a standard format that is used for packaging and distributing software that runs in Virtual Machines. OVA files can be called the OVF directory that is stored in a single archive by using.TAR packaging for distribution purposes. The file containing the file extension.OVA is sometimes called the Open Application File or an Open Virtualization Format file. Some of the data that you may find in it contain disk images, an OVF descriptor is an XML-based text file, and Octava Musical Score files use this file extension, too, for musical scores generated with the Octava Program. Along with this, the score formatting options like bars, staff, and notes are saved in the OVA file format.
Programs that open OVA files
- VMware Workstation
- VMware vCenter Converter
- VMware Player
- VM VirtualBox
- VMware OVF Tool
- VMware Workstation
- VMware OVF Tool
How to open OVA file?
VirtualBox is the software that supports the OVA file. It helps in opening the OVA file format quickly with just a few steps.
- In the VirtualBox, application open it and locate the File menu and select it.
- Then click on the “Import Appliance.” VirtualBox refers to virtual machines as appliances.
- Then select your OVA file from the popup window that occurs. Import your data in the VirtualBox; it would take a few seconds to read the information.
- After that, you need to make some changes with the settings of the software to import the file as soon as possible like the memory amount and then let VirtualBox run on the import process
- After the process, your VM is ready to use.
Import the file with the help of VirtualBox
- Download and install VirtualBox on your computer if you do not have it already in it.
- Then open VirtualBox
- Select the file
- Import Appliance
- Select the OVA file in the import box
- Verify the settings in the center window.
- Make the changes if you required in the center window.
- Tap the import option at the bottom.
- Allow VirtualBox to import the file and arrange it for use.
How to convert OVA file?
an OVA file can be easily converted into other file formats, and also, these files are able to convert on Windows as well as macOS. OVA is a bundle of OVF(open virtualization format) and VMDK files. Therefore it usually is available on the OVA file format. By directly deploying the OVA files from vCenter Client, it will fail 99%of times. So it would be better for you to extract the OVA files as OVF, or you need to convert as VMX file format to organize the appliances on vCenter Client or VMware web client. This tool offers a free converter that can help you to extract an OVA file format files and to convert as VMX files.
So download the VMware Virtualization open tool. It is entirely free to download.
- Download the VMware OVF tool and install it.
- After the installation of the OVF tool, open the prompt command and click on the start button and then on Run command.
- Browse the location of VMware OVF
- Keep the OVA file on the below location.
- Move to the command line and extract OVA fila as an OVF file and VMDK files.